Educate to Create 2019
Impact of AI on Higher Education Conference
The “Educate to Create 2019 – the Impact of AI on Higher Education” Conference is envisioned as a part of an annual conference series focused on the impact of technology on education and vice-versa. The 2018 conference focused on digital skills in education. This year’s event has a more specific focus – artificial intelligence and higher education.
As one of the most rapidly developing technologies, the Artificial Intelligence raises new challenges before our economies and our societies. The need for adapting our policies to facilitate the safe, widespread, everyday use of AI, puts the policy makers under immense pressure. Both public and private actors are investing vast amount of resources to step up their R&I and implementation activities. The great potential use of AI in business and industry, among other emerging technologies, would continue to provoke fright among the wider public.
The Conference aims to seek answers to some of these issues. You have the opportunity to witness some of the best experts from across Europe discuss AI and its close relationship with the Higher Education Institutions in both conceptual and practical terms, as well as this relationship’s impact on the business and industry (and vice-versa).
These complex challenges and processes need holistic and joint approach of both public and private actors.
Thus the conference also aims to popularize AI and its use in education, research, business and industry and to inspire young researchers and entrepreneurs to embrace its vast potential.
The Conference is organized by the Bulgarian Ministry of Education and Science in cooperation with Commissioner Mariya Gabriel.
Watch the live streaming!
Here’s what we did in 2018
29 March 2019, Sofia Tech Park
Krasimir VALCHEV, Minister of Education and Science
Evarist BARTOLO, Minister of Education and Employment of Malta
Mariya GABRIEL, Commissioner for Digital Economy and Society
Prof. Martin VECHEV, Secure, Reliable, and Intelligent Systems Lab, ETH Zurich
Moderator: Prof. Laurence BROOKS, De Montfort University
- George SHARKOV, European DIGITAL SME Alliance
- Mariya ILIEVA, Emerging Markets Digital Transformation Strategic Deals Lead, Microsoft Austria
- Prof. George GHINEA, Brunel University/ NEWTON Project
Rapporteur: Violeta IVANOVA–ROHLING, Institute of Mathematics and Informatics at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences;
Moderator: Denitsa SACHEVA, Deputy Minister of Education and Science
- Ilkka TUOMI, Meaning Processing Ltd
- Prof. Todor YALAMOV, Deputy Dean of Business Administration Faculty, Sofia University
- Stefania BOCCONI, Institute for Educational Technology, the National Research Council of Italy
- Kati TIAINEN, Global Digital Learning Strategy Team, Microsoft Finland
- Eva MAYDELL, Member of the European Parliament
Rapporteur: Assoc. prof. Vladislav SLAVOV, Technical University – Sofia
12:40 - 13:30 A reality check: Opportunities, risks and limitations of artificial intelligence for businesses
Moderator: Alexandra KOZBUNAROVA, Trending Topics Bulgaria
- Andras STREN, SR Product Marketing Manager, Microsoft Hungary
- Milen YANKULOV, Marketing Director, Ontotext/Sirma AI
- Christophe BERGERON, General Manager, Novotel
- Mohamed FAKIHI, Managing Director, Kratos Technology
- Georgi MARKOV, Euroins Insurance Group
Rapporteur: Boyan PENEV
Fabrizia BENINI, Head of unit Digital Economy and Skills, European Commission
- Violeta IVANOVA–ROHLING
- Assoc. prof. Vladislav SLAVOV
- Boyan PENEV
Awarding the best participants in the “Microsoft Azure AI TestFest – Make artificial intelligence (AI) real for your education today” Initiative
Dr. Kati CLEMENTS, Learntech Accelerator Coordinator, Post-Doctoral Researcher at the University of Jyväskylä
Karina ANGELIEVA, Deputy Minister of Education and Science
“Microsoft Azure AI TestFest – Make artificial intelligence (AI) real for your education today” Initiative, will be awarded during the Conference!The best students, who have participated in the